How to safely use VPNs?

>I’ve been researching and there’s a ton of info out there that I’m not entirely sure is factual or unsponsored content.

There’s some experienced users here so I just want to confirm what I’ve gathered for the most basic and safe use of VPN for regular people who’s using it for everyday use like Netflix and torr enting games, movies, TV shows etc.

Things Id would to be confirmed:

* everything that comes out of the other end of VPN server can technically be tracked from that end (but can it be tracked back to original ip?)
* don’t log in to anything important while on VPN if you don’t want it to be tracked/leaked
* isp can’t see what you’re doing but know you’re connected to a VPN
* it’s safe to use it on streaming services
* safe to use to protect your identity when torren ting stuff (how likely can you be caught?)

So basically anything truly private you shouldn’t access through a VPN right? So just do banking or whatever on your normal home wifi, but for private browsing and downloading you use a VPN to mask your activity?

Also with the whole logging thing, there is no true way of knowing if you are logged as far as I understand, but is this a huge concern for those who are using it like a normal person (including torr ents) and not trying to do anything crazy?

Sorry for long post but I really want this to be clarified because there’s dudes out there saying don’t use VPNs now cuz it can be compromised and others who say you would be stupid not to as it protects you from being tracked.

Thanks in advance

خرید فیلترشکن

7 دیدگاه برای “How to safely use VPNs?”

1. You can still do private things such as banking over a VPN as long as it’s over https (ssl). Your VPN provider wouldn’t be able to see any information exchanged over those websites, just the fact that you connected to that site. Theoretically the VPN provider could set up a man in the middle attack but that is pretty far fetched and not a real concern for an normal user. Having said that, your bank might not like the fact that you are using a VPN. They might make you get a 1 time sms code or something when logging in.

Everything else you said is pretty much accurate. For torrenting the most important thing is to have a reliable kill switch to prevent your IP getting exposed in case the VPN disconnects momentarily. For Netflix there is not much to worry about. They won’t ban your account or anything if your vpn gets disconnected and exposes your real location.

2. Depends, servers that don’t log their traffic and aren’t lying about it are pretty safe. You can only be tracked if a law enforcement agency were to subpoena the VPN service, and, even then, if they don’t keep logs there’s no trail. The way ISPs usually get around this is through tracking your DNS requests. If you look around the subreddit and the internet in general you’ll hear the term DNS leak getting thrown around, and that refers to ISPs circumventing vpns by logging all the request you send out to the server of your choice. The problem, however, usually tends to be telling whether or not a VPN service is lying about logging. Free VPNs are especially sus in this regard, but there are good free VPNs out there (run by internet anti spying activists usually) although you have to take them at their word. I’d say as a general rule of thumb, don’t do important stuff on a free VPN, like banking and such, and don’t do sketchy illegal shit on the more legit VPN services that might be watching what you’re doing in order to cover their own asses. That’s my take at least.

3. For sure don’t use VPN for banking. Banks might think your account is being hacked. But don’t torrent without a VPN. And in general, don’t mix banking with torrenting.

4. The proper way to use a VPN for maximum anonymity and security is to do this: create a virtual machine using software like virtualbox. Then on that virtual machine install the VPN. Never use the internet on this virtual machine without using the VPN.

Get a VPN with a internet Killswitch and turn it on 100% of the time. Make sure you use a VPN that is paid, because the free ones can sell your information. Pay for the virtual machine using Bitcoin or gift card.

Now on the virtual machine with your VPN do not ever, ever, ever do anything on there with your real identity such as your email or bank accounts or anything else. At all, ever. Don’t even log into online retail with your real name.

If you need a Anonymous email account, create it from within the VPN.

This virtual machine will be considered clean and should not reveal your identity at all.

Use online IP and anonymity checking tools to verify effectiveness.

5. Some benefits of using a VPN:

– hide info from your ISP, a company which already knows far too much about you

– hide info from other devices on your LAN, and your router, which is especially important if you’re on public Wi-Fi

– make it a little harder for web sites to track you

– add multiple legal jurisdictions if someone wants to trace and sue or DMCA you

– defeat geo-locking by some services

– some VPNs provide malware-site blocking, ad-blocking, parental controls features

I use a VPN 24/365, turning it off only when some site absolutely will not tolerate a VPN.

That said, a VPN is not a magic silver bullet that makes you safe and anonymous. VPN really protects only your IP address and the data in motion; if the data content reveals your private info, the destination server gets your private info.

6. These are great questions. So let’s start:

VPN does not guarantee you anonymity, because to put it simply it just changes your original IP address, reroutes it through its server, and encrypts the flow between your device and server. You are correct that once the data leaves the server it is decrypted, even though then HTTPS encryption still applies.

There are way more to track users besides IP address, such as canvas fingerprinting, browser fingerprints, supercookies and so on. So if you’re visiting websites you don’t want others to know you do – invest more than just a VPN, get yourself some browser extensions.

When it comes to torrenting VPNs are very handy though. Since they reroute all traffic through their servers and encryption is applied your ISP will only see that you’re connected to some server – prolly will know it’s a VPN – but can’t prove it anyway. They can monitor the amount of data transfers (at least I’ve heard they can) and make presumptions – still it’s guessing. Be sure to use a VPN that has been audited for no-logs by a good auditing company, otherwise it’s blind trust.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

دیدگاه‌ها بسته شده‌اند.