Does a VPN create the illusion of being at another location, or does it actually link you to the location?

>If so, why is it that whether I connect to a Japan VPN or a US one, I get the same speeds. I’m assuming if I was connecting all the way to Japan it would add lots of latency and reduce download speeds significantly.

خرید فیلترشکن

5 دیدگاه برای “Does a VPN create the illusion of being at another location, or does it actually link you to the location?”

1. It forwards your traffic to the VPN servers wherever they are located prior to connecting to the intended end server.

It’s kinda like the mail service. Instead of you walking your package to the intended person a mail person carries it and keeps it safe until it is delivered.

Speed should not be impacted but latency will depending on distance. The only time speed will be impacted is by the amount of traffic to that server and the amount of bandwidth available.

2. Latency and download speed are different things because they’re different.

I guarantee you that you have worse latency if you’re routing your traffic halfway around the world to a VPN server before it goes anywhere else. But once you get a connection established, the actual speed should be about the same. Just takes longer to get that data flowing.

3. Imagine a truck delivering goods.

The amount of time it take for it to reach its destination is the latency.

The amount of goods it is carrying is the speed.

So you could basically call it internet capacity instead of internet speed.

But the thing is – internet moves quite fast. When using fiber, the internet literally moves at the speed of light-ish.

For games the increased latency might prove to be an issue – but with streaming games on the rise I don’t think it’s a problem for the casual gamer.

When using the internet for other things such as web browsing, emails, streaming etc. It shouldn’t be any issue at all.

4. All of your internet traffic is piped through a secondary location… So from a website’s perspective it would appear you are in Japan (if you’re using a Japanese VPN server). You send your traffic to the server in Japan, it forwards it to the website. Latency will definitely be introduced… especially at great distances. Download speeds will depend on how fast you can download from a particular VPN server. If the server provides gigabit download speeds you won’t see any difference in download speeds. Free servers pretty much always limit your download speeds.

Something to note… Speedtest results are unreliable if you’re using a VPN due to caching on the server. The only way to know your actual download speed would be to download a file and time it yourself. And that only works the first time you download the file (again, due to caching).

دیدگاه‌ها بسته شده‌اند.